Sunday, January 30, 2011

Learning Profile

During the humanities, we talked about the 'Learning Profile', what type of learner you were. We had to find out what dominant body parts we use daily-life because your dominant body part will determine your ability and skills as well as your learning type. We were separated into small part of groups with three people maximum, and took the test procedure to find out our dominant part of bodies. After that, we had to sort out what type of thinker you are. Our brain is separated into two different hemisphere, left and right, which each represented logic and gestalt. My overall test designated that I am biased mostly at my right with exception of eye and brain. My dominant brain was left, representing that I am a logical thinker. As a result, I received Profile C. This profile manifests the ways to improve my learning as well as the lack of ability.

My profile C sheet claims that I will mostly learn best when focusing on the auditory details, and then comes analysis, verbalization, and writing. The statement of the Learning Profile is very factual and accurate; mostly when I come to the stage where I can't comprehend music, math and English's theme, main idea & point, facts manifested on the book, I try to listen to the others. Most Koreans I know, are very analyzable unlike me, - if there's something they don't understand, they reiterate reading the book and try to figure out what's happening and that's very opposite of me; as I prefer to listen and hear to others rephrase or their ideas. The benefit of learning best on auditory is definitely, music. The main reason why I am very talented as most people states, is that I have very sophisticated ears, picking up every single notes and details. Although I believe that my efforts and love towards music created 'me' right now, I am fully aware that the main reason that I am above the standard skill of music is my auditory skills.

Another statement from my profile sheet is, I prefers structured learning and appreciates orderly sequencing of information, and has ability to follow step by step which is again, very true of me. I always try to re-interpret the teaching as a structured learning, by stating main points in bullet points. Also, I love teachers who are very structured and teach in orderly sequencing of information. Since I prefer structured learning, I always have trouble learning math, especially when it comes to Korean education math style. Korean education math style is very unclear and obscure, doesn't have clear answers to its question. In Korean math education style, they don’t have a clear sequencing of information; sometimes learns geometry then straight into equation. They force us to memorize all the equations without knowing what that represent. Because of that, Korean math education style has very bad sequence of information; they don't start math from the basic then build up, but starts at the advanced, then to basic and back again to advanced. As this keeps repeating, forming a cycle where I literally don't learn anything at all.

The strategies that would help me in my learning are to understand and synthesize information from a whole perspective, and explore ambiguity, emotions and movement. For me, I have trouble understanding and synthesizing information given to me. However, unlike any other friends, once I start understanding the information, I catch them up really fast and go beyond the imaginary. I can come up with creative and unique ideas - once I understand the information. Once I start to have ability to synthesize information, it would help me to increase the speed of gaining knowledge.

First above all, I would like teachers to know about me that, since I really lack of ability of understanding as well as synthesizing the information, I would really appreciate extra information given to me that's orderly sequenced with structured information, even though I ask teachers for the extra help. If teachers can boost me up to understand information, I would be able to devise with deeper ideas and analysis during the discussion and other classes. On the other hand, I would like teachers to know that I would like to work and study in a quiet environment, not busy and distracting places. As I have very sophisticated on my auditory even though I am reading or talking, I would easily get distracted. Also, I would like teachers to know that I would prefer to have a partner who concentrates and offers fresh ideas to me. For me, I don't prefer and like people who are just talented and wants to do all work by themselves. On the other hand, I also don't like useless partners who leaves all the work to me, relying on me that I will get A on the project. I just like to have a partner who concentrates on the work and tries to put effort into something, someone who has passionate in learning. In my perspective, I love people who studies with passion when they study, and who plays with passion when they play - because I am a type like that - who studies hard when I need to study and plays with friends with efforts put in when I play.

As a conclusion, the learning profile gave opportunities for me to turn back and think again about my characteristic as well as my learning style. I personally think that 'Learning Profile' should be spread throughout the world so that everyone has opportunities to look back at themselves and think carefully about what you should do right now.

No comments: